12 Best Slow Speed Bench Grinder – Top Picks and Reviews
Top 5 Best Slow Speed Bench Grinders
WEN 4286 3-Amp 8-Inch
- Motor – 3 amps
- RPM – 1750
- Adjustable eye guards
- Wheel size – 8”
Our Top Pick
- RPM – 1750
- Anti-Vibration rubber
- Locking key
- Safety eye shield
- 1-1.5 HP
- 115 V motor
- RPM – 1725
- Wheel Size – 10”
Slow speed bench grinders are excellent tools for sharpening, cleaning, polishing, and shaping metal. Finding the best slow speed bench grinder can, however, be challenging.
There are so many options available, all fantastic offering features. In our guide below, we will look at what we consider 12 of the best, and why we believe they deserve a place in our top picks. We will also highlight what we do not like about them.
Table of Contents
- 12 Best Slow Speed Bench Grinder – Top Picks and Reviews
- Top 5 Best Slow Speed Bench Grinders
- View the Best Slow Speed Bench Grinder on the Market, Below.
- Rikon 80-805 ½ HP 1750 60 and 120 8”
- JET 577103 10-Inch Industrial Bench Grinder
- WEN 4286 3-Amp 8-Inch Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder
- RIKON Power Tools 80-808 8″ 1 HP Low Speed 1725 RPM Bench Grinder
- JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch Bench Grinder
- DEWALT DW758 8″ Bench Grinder
- Porter-Cable PCB575BG 8″ Variable Speed Grinder with Work Lamp
- RIKON Power Tools 80-805 8″ Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Sunex 5002A Bench Grinder with Light, 8-Inch
- Powertec BGSS801 Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Black Bull BG8SS 8-Inch Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Buyer’s Review: How To Select The Best Slow Speed Bench Grinders for your project and budget
- Key Features of The Best Slow Bench Grinders
- Key Advantages of Getting Slow Bench Grinder
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How do you maintain a bench grinder?
- 2. What are bench grinders used for?
- 3. Do I need a variable speed bench grinder?
- 4. Can you put a speed control on a bench grinder?
- 5. Can a bench grinder be used as a buffer?
- 6. How does a router speed control work?
- 7. When should a grinding wheel be replaced?
- 8. Can a grinder be used as a polisher?
- Final Thoughts
View the Best Slow Speed Bench Grinder on the Market, Below.
Our Top Pick
Rikon 80-805 ½ HP 1750 60 and 120 8”
Rikon 80-805 is a sure buy if you are looking for value for money. It is powerful yet quiet. When in use, simply use the mounting holes to secure it to your work table. Some of the key features include a diamond wheel sharpener, enhanced safety with a locking key, and tool rest for the wheels.
- Warranty of 5 years
- It is very quiet
- Good value for money
- You may experience slight vibration and a wobble on lateral
JET 577103 10-Inch Industrial Bench Grinder
- It is very quiet
- You experience minimal vibration
- The motor is very powerful.
- It is a bit on the pricey side
- You purchase the improved tool rest separately.
WEN 4286 3-Amp 8-Inch Slow Speed Bench Grinder
WEN 4286is compact, but very powerful due to the 3-amp motor. Together with the grinder, you get two aluminum oxide wheels that are 8 by 1 inch. Material removal, finishing, and sharpening are easy with the 60 and 120 grit wheels. Other components include adjustable eye guards, magnifier lens, and a 2-year warranty. It makes it to our best slow speed bench grinder on a budget list because you get excellent value for money.
- The wheel change is easy due to the easy remove wheel guard
- Quiet and powerful
- It may overheat
- Slow take-off and shut down.
Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder
Delta Power Tools 23-197 is a departure from the normal, due to the variable speed settings. You can achieve material removal and fine sharpening due to the 36 and 60 grit wheels. The light is adjustable, thus better efficiency. You enhance safety with the on and off switch with a lock. The cast iron base minimizes vibrations, and the adjustable tools sets add to the convenience. The water tray is a fantastic addition.
- Powerful motor
- Variable bench grinder
- Compact yet stable
- Assembling it can be a bit difficult
- It is quite heavy
RIKON Power Tools 80-808 8″ 1 HP Low Speed 1725 RPM Bench Grinder
Rikon 80-808 low-speed bench grinder is affordable end very efficient. It is powerful yet very quiet and does not overheat. You can sharpen, grind or smooth out your iron due to the 60 and 120 grit wheels. We also like that it has an adjustable LED work light, eye shields, and heavy-duty tool rests. Use the mounting holes to secure the grinder to your workbench.
- Low quality grinding wheels
- The light is dim and difficult to adjust.
JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch Bench Grinder
- Stable and powerful
- Easy to adjust
- Has ports for dust collection
- No lamp
DEWALT DW758 8″ Bench Grinder
- Oversized spray guards for better protection
- Non-adjustable tool rest
- The 36-grit wheel sometimes vibrates
Porter-Cable PCB575BG 8″ Variable Speed Grinder with Work Lamp
- Variable speed
- No locking shaft on the wheels
- Difficult to mount
RIKON Power Tools 80-805 8″ Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- It is powerful
- Excellent for precision work
- It is more suited for light-duty operations
- It may vibrate
Sunex 5002A Bench Grinder with Light, 8-Inch
- Easy to Mount
- Powerful and durable
- It comes with a light
- It is pricey
- May Vibrate
Powertec BGSS801 Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Excellent for beginners
- Power switch with lock feature
- Stable and quiet
- It is not very powerful
- The tool rests are small.
Black Bull BG8SS 8-Inch Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Does not overheat
- Allows for greater precision
Buyer’s Review: How To Select The Best Slow Speed Bench Grinders for your project and budget
1. Power of the motor
the higher the power rating, the better the performance
2. Type of wheel
Type of wheel for different tasks such as leveling, refining, smoothing, or sharpening
Safety features of the grinder include eye shields, wheel guards and a lock switch to keep you safe when working
Those with a heavy base, rubber feet, and a sturdy cast iron body are stable and safer to use because they do not vibrate.
Look for a bench grinder with an extended warranty; in case of any issues, you can return them or get after-sales service and parts.
Key Features of The Best Slow Bench Grinders
Eyeshields protect your eyes from sparks and flying debris.
Spark resisters prevent sparks from reaching your hands and clothes.
Variable speeds knob adjust the motor’s performance, depending on the task you are undertaking.
Wheel dresser to return the wheels to their original shape, expose a different profile or fresh grain.
Sturdy base for stability and to avoid vibration.
Cooling tray to cool whatever you are working on; it helps avoid overheating.
Adjustable tool rests make work faster and easier.
Wheel guards to avoid injuries arising from grinding wheel mishaps.
Key Advantages of Getting Slow Bench Grinder
You get to avoid overheating due to the slower RPM.
You get better precision with whatever you are doing by working at a slower speed.
Variable speed bench grinders make work easier because you control the speed as you wish.
They are more suitable for light to medium-duty work.
Some of them are newbie-friendly, and anyone can use them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you maintain a bench grinder?
- Always inspect the machine before using it to ensure everything is working as it should.
- Keep it clean by avoiding the build-up of dirt and debris using an air hose.
- Tighten the handles and any other parts that may become loose.
2. What are bench grinders used for?
You use bench grinders for grinding, sharpening, cutting, buffing, removing rust, shaping, and polishing objects.
3. Do I need a variable speed bench grinder?
Not necessarily, but it depends on the job you are doing. It also saves you the inconvenience of turning the motor off and on to slow down the wheel.
4. Can you put a speed control on a bench grinder?
You can, by incorporating a belt pulley, controlling router speed, reducing wheel size, or using a variable frequency drive.
5. Can a bench grinder be used as a buffer?
Yes, you can use your bench grinder as a buffer.
6. How does a router speed control work?
A router speed allows you to control how fast the wheels go. Those with variable settings will enable you to adjust as you wish.
7. When should a grinding wheel be replaced?
Replace the wheel when it is 1″ away from the grinder recess, or when it is no longer grinding correctly. Also, check the Manufacturers expiry date and replace cracked or worn out wheels
8. Can a grinder be used as a polisher?
Yes, you can use your grinder as a polisher.
The best slow bench grinders provide a lot of functionality and make work easier. We have shared our top picks above, including what we do not like about them. There are other grinders that we have not touched on in our article above. So, do your research well so that you know exactly what to expect when shopping. Otherwise, we hope you will be able to pinpoint the best grinder for you from our article above. We would love to get your feedback on the one you settle for.