8 Best Drill Press For Metal: 2021 Reviews and Guide
Top Best Drill Press For Metal
WEN 4208 5-Inch Drill Press
- Best for sculpting suburban yards or cutting smaller trees
- Very lightweight
- Very quite during use
Our Top Pick
WEN 4210T 10In. Drill Press
- Can cut through trees esaily
- Very efficient will oil and gas use
- Very lightweight and has egonormic handle
Rockwell Shop Series RK7033
- Very Powerfull and Heavy duvty
- Will cut 18 inches wood easily
- Has the best safty measure in the market
The drill press for metal is an essential tool when it comes to drilling in both professional shops and workshops. This helps in making drills in multiples in a quick way and more precisely and gives you more in the shortest time.
There is a variety of drill press made for different tasks. Some models are built for wood, and others are made for plastics.
When you think of drilling a metal, you need to consider a good drill press for the metal in your workstation, since other models made for wood and plastic won’t have the necessary power.
If you are searching for the best drill press for metal to add in your collection, consider several different factors as you search for the perfect one to fit your projects.
Firstly, you need to consider the power of the motor. Secondly, you need to decide on the number of speeds and the speed range.
Lastly, it would help if you are looking for a press with the proper weight for the work you wish to do. There are various varieties of drill press for metals you may consider in your project.
Table of Contents
- 8 Best Drill Press For Metal: 2021 Reviews and Guide
- Top Best Drill Press For Metal
- View the Best Drill Press for Metals on the Market, Below.
- WEN 4210T 10In. Drill Press with Laser
- Rockwell Shop Series RK7033
- WEN 4208 5-Inch Drill Press
- Wen 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press, 15-Inch
- NOVA 58000 Voyager DVR Drill Press
- Shop Fox W1680 Floor Model Press
- Craftsman 10” Bench Drill Press
- Klutch Floor Drill Press – 16-Speed, 13in. 3/4 HP
- Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best Drill Press for Metals for your projects and budget
- Advantages of the Best Drill Press for Metal
- Benchtop Drill Press for Metal Vs. Floor Drill Presses for Metal.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What’s The Best Way to Clean a Drill Press?
- 2. How Do I Assemble My Drill Press?
- 3. Can I Use It for Tapping?
- 4. Can You Mill with A Drill Press?
- 5. How Does A Variable Speed Drill Press Work?
- 6. Can A Drill Press Be Used As A Lathe?
- 7. Can You Mill Aluminum With A Drill Press?
- 8. Can You Use Regular Drill Bits in A Drill Press?
View the Best Drill Press for Metals on the Market, Below.
Our Top Pick
WEN 4210T 10In. Drill Press with Laser
It is a high-power tool for taking care of a variety of drilling projects as its most excellent feature is likely its adjustability.
It is recommended because an attached work light helps illuminate your grilling area, and an on-board laser light keeps your working very precise and accurate. Its spindle can be infinitely adjusted between 580 and 3200 RPMs.
- Easy to assemble and start
- Auto lubrication
- Automatic tensioning system
- Chain brake
- Oil leakage is common
- Kickback brake is oversensitive
Rockwell Shop Series RK7033
Rockwell makes this drill. It is small enough to fit the benchtop efficiently and sufficiently light to be moved around your shop. This drill is nice and straight forward to use. The adjustable height of the press drill and the easily adjusted Table make it easy to use it for various sized materials.
The three-inch quill travel will help in making sure that you get your holes drilled quickly and accurately anytime. The drill is recommended because of its lightness portability, and small dimensions with battery operated.
- Great quality for value/money ratio
- Comes fully assembled
- Air filter for easier cleaning
- Anti-vibration system
- A little heavy
WEN 4208 5-Inch Drill Press
It is a small and simple tool that is perfect for occasional use and bringing along to job sites. With a motor voltage of 120V, spindle travel of 2 inches, and five as the number of speeds, it will give an excellent press for projects that require perfect drilling. It has a great drill press and high accuracy.
This drill has a built-in channel spindle that helps to keep it beautiful and relaxed when you are drilling. This will help you to make sure your drill bits are accurate, clean, and the drill itself lasts and doesn’t suffer any longer damage due to overheating.
This drill is recommended because of its digital display, easy to adjust speeds, cooling channel, and laser for precision drilling.
- Easy to use
- Low kickback bar
- Chain oiler isn’t automatic
- Oil leaks
Wen 4225 8.6-Amp Variable Speed Floor Standing Drill Press, 15-Inch
- Easy to start
- Automatic oiling system
- Handle for cutting in many directions
- Great quality-to-price ratio
- Leaks when stored with oil
NOVA 58000 Voyager DVR Drill Press
This is the best driller in the market. It has the most potent motor; it can crank out 2 HP, provided you wire it for 220V, it will give you a massive range of drilling speeds. This can go as slow as 50 RPM for thick metals and 5500 RPM for thinner materials.
The VA is an extremely heavy-duty piece of machinery. The heaviness provides a ton of stability, no matter how fast it is spinning. This helps to make it an incredibly stable and drill press. NOVA is considered the best because of its more accessible way to adjust, hence smooth operation, powerful motor, extended warranty, and extensive speed range.
- Consistent, easy start
- Good battery life
- Speed trigger for speed control
- Little noise
- Chain oiler can cause problems
Shop Fox W1680 Floor Model Press
This drill has a very high level of power that makes it easy to slice through thick metals. It has a high-speed range that will give you a full scale of control over your drilling. It has a variety of accessories and features that will make drilling very easy.
It is recommended because of its powerful motor and dynamic speed range. This drill press can perform at five different speeds to suit your needs. It has a high-speed range while still being safe to use.
The most significant feature of this drill press is the exact depth stop, which other models struggle with. This allows you to make precise holes that you want. It offers a high level of control, which is perfect for drilling into metal. This model has excellent safety measures, versatile speed range, precise, and laser.
- 6300 RPM
- Long battery life
- Oil drips when stored
Craftsman 10” Bench Drill Press
A very convenient tool, maybe even the best chainsaw for a household Its primary use is to cut small branches which we can conclude by the 10-inch bar. This doesn’t mean that it’s bad – it’s just not made to cut big trunks. A 24V lithium battery can make 25 cuts per charge.
It’s very comfortable and easy to maneuver. We love the automatic oiler feature which makes this saw low-maintenance. It’s ready to be used as soon as you add the oil. An automatic oiler will help promote the durability of the chainsaw.
To help you keep real-time track of the oil, the tank is translucent. If you want to regulate the chain tension all you need to do is regulate the outside knob and with the chainsaw weighing a little less than 8 pounds, anyone can use it – men, women, and novices. It’s a convenient tool for anyone who has to prune the branches every so often.
- Low maintenance
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t have safety measures
Klutch Floor Drill Press – 16-Speed, 13in. 3/4 HP
If your main objective is cutting the firewood then this may be the best chainsaw for you. Its 18inch low kickback bar can cut through 15-16″ wood trunk without any problems.
Since cutting firewood is a job that sometimes needs to be done in not-so-great conditions, the manufacturers have thought about that as well: The saw will start in any weather conditions, which is an important feature given that the gas chainsaws are known to cause starting-related problems.
Quickstart technology makes sure that it will not only start but start fast. We love that both handles, front and back, are anti-vibration. It makes the job less strenuous and intensive, allowing you to achieve more in one session and focus on the nuances. It runs on a 51cc 2-cycle engine.
- Can start in any weather condition
- Easy to start
- Not durable
Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best Drill Press for Metals for your projects and budget
Features To Consider When Selecting Drill Press for Metals
1. Motor PowerMotor power is usually presented in HP (horsepower). A high level of motor power will make it easier to complete any drilling task you need to whatever metal type and thickness you are working on.
2. Number of SpeedThe speed at which the drills rotates is expressed in RPM. A drill press with a wide speed range will allow you to work with a variety of metals of different thicknesses.
3. Kind of Metal It Can CutThe kind of material you can drill with a press depends on the speed at which the drill press operates. For thick and sturdy materials, it requires a lower rate. Light metal material will need high speed.
4. Quill TravelThe quill on the drill press is the hollow tube that surrounds the spindle. An internal mechanism control allows the feather to be lowered and raised when you are drilling. This is done by rotating the handle on the side. The far the quill will travel with turn will determine the thickness of the material you can drill through.
5. Chuck SizeThe chuck on the drill is the three –jawed clamp that will help in tightening in order hold the bit. The majority of the chucks are standard size and will hold most drill bits. However, some chucks can’t hold exceptionally large or small bits. Ensure the bit you intend to use will fit in the chuckle of your press.
6. Work TableThe size of the drill press table is determined by the size of the metal materials used. More extensive materials will require a large worktable, while small materials will require a little work table. It’s recommended to have a rotating table to accommodate particular angles.
7. LED Work LightThis will help to make your work more comfortable since it will help you to see what you are doing.
8. Weight and DimensionsFor metal drilling press, ensure it is built to last. Ensure the drill press is made of heavy metal materials instead of plastic ones to prevent it from breaking down over time.
Advantages of the Best Drill Press for Metal
Benchtop Drill Press for Metal Vs. Floor Drill Presses for Metal.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s The Best Way to Clean a Drill Press?Ensure your drill press is kept in cool and dry places to prevent rust. If your drill press is rusty and dirty, clean them using rusty remover such as solvent or naval jelly to remove all dirt and rust deposits. You also use steel wool to scrub the surfaces and wipe with a dry clean lag.
2. How Do I Assemble My Drill Press?All drill press for metal comes with an instruction manual to guide the user to assemble the drill press. Follow the instruction carefully to ensure you don’t miss a step.
3. Can I Use It for Tapping?Drill press helps to keep the tap aligned accurately, but you should avoid using the drill press to turn the valve.
4. Can You Mill with A Drill Press?The drill press cannot be used for milling. This is because they do not have bearings designed for side load, making them hard for milling suitability.
5. How Does A Variable Speed Drill Press Work?A variable speed drill for a drill press is designed to have a dial-in front, that helps control the mechanism that changes the working diameter of the spindle pulley, resulting in the speed of the speed.
6. Can A Drill Press Be Used As A Lathe?The drill press can be used as a lathe. You just need to turn the drill into a vertical woodworking lathe.
7. Can You Mill Aluminum With A Drill Press?Aluminum is a very soft metal material making it proportionately easier to cut and mill using a drill press. The increase makes it the speed of the drill press. Although the drill press is primarily designed for drilling, you must be cautious when milling the aluminum material to avoid breaking the drill press.
8. Can You Use Regular Drill Bits in A Drill Press?All soft materials are quickly and safely drilled by any bit compared to hard plastic that require specially designed bits to drill them. You just need to be accurate to produce accurate, clean, and holes.
Conclusion?Now that you have read our review on different varieties of drill press for metals, you now have full knowledge and ready to decide on the drill press to add to your home or professional workstation. Choose the drill press you are comfortable using and that you know it will tackle the job you need to do well. We hope that our reviews will facilitate you to find the best drill press for you.